20.6.06

Relief...

I made it through! 2 down 2 more to go!! Speeches, that is... I don't need to admit that I'm so darn afraid of speaking in front of people, what more in front of strangers. But lately, it's been possible and getting more comfortable. It helped also that the short prayer I uttered beneath my breath was worthwhile. Words came out, albeit in a senseless, unconnected sort of way but they did not fail me.
You know the time when the whole audience is awaiting your very next word/phrase/sentence and you can't seem to find the right thing to say no matter how hard you rack your head for it? OTAK JAM! Yays, it happened. I looked down, fumbled with my sentence and my hair and came up with something totally ridiculous. And there's the audience, looking completely bemused as if I'd rattled off in a mix of German and Chinese.
But everyone has their moments where the jitters strike and there isn't any place to hide. There are times when you cannot find a sure step to place your feet and all you have is the little bit of faith that you're holding on to.
Sure, it was just a 3 minute speech but it was 3 minutes of standing on my own- minus the guardrails, the crutches and the training wheels. And it was looooooong.
I'm looking forward to the next speech as well as hoping to improve on my weak points (bloody eye contact).

0 comments: